Saturday, November 22, 2008

When I Was Your Age!

Matt Here.

I must be getting way old. I like to listen to the radio when I drive and listen to some online music sites at work. As many of you know, I am a secret thug and usually listen to gangster gangsta rap. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that rap is not as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Lil' Wayne, but what out there is as good as some of the classic albums like Dre's The Chronic & Aftermath 2001, Tupac's Greatest Hits, B.I.G.'s Life After Death, or Diddy's No Way Out? Those are timeless.

Anyways, I have recently tempered my choice of music and thought I'd share some of my favorite non-rap songs with you. Some of these are mainstream, others not. If I were way trendy (normal?), I would have an ipod and these would all be on it:

DCFC, I Will Follow You. This got a little play some time ago, then disappeared. It has now reappeared.

PINK, Sober. Just making its way onto the radio here. I always turn the sound up and rock it.

Jeff Buckely, Hallelujah. You may recognize it from Shrek, this isn't the original, but it's way better than all the other covers out there. Sad to say, Jeff drowned in a river shortley after recording this.

Beyonce, If I Were A Boy. What's the deal? This is totally sappy and girly, but I dig it!

Marvin Gaye, National Anthem. I've been known to listen to some of the Gayester, so when I heard this was the theme song for Team USA Basketball 2008, I had to hear it, so do you. It was controversial when he first sang it, now it's a classic.

Also important to note, the Lakers continue to roll, posting the best record in the NBA, while the Jazz complain about injuries while the lose to the equally injured Spurs, as well as the Wizards, Bobcats, Knicks, and any other organization that can find 5 guys off the street to wear a uniform. Life is good.

2 comments:

Jessica Sanders said...

Thanks for representin' with the gangsta rap Matt. Tupac always makes me reminisce about LA- you know cuz "every brotha in LA gottta little bit a thug in 'em." And I love the music video of Dr Dre "been there, done that" from back when I had MTV. And since you dig "if I were a boy", you might like the best part in Dre's video of the ballroom dancing (aka ghetto tango).

PS Go LAKERS!

Tamara said...

I too have been very disappointed with the music that is out there now. What kind of song says "I want to grow up and have boobies"? Doug and I laugh every time the Pussy Cat Dolls come on the radio. What was it that made you and Doug such thug lovers??